Tuesday 24 January 2012

Response to Miranda Simpson's post: The Gaga Gospel: http://anchor-for-the-soul.blogspot.com/2012/01/gaga-gospel.html


Whenever I hear Gaga and Christianity in the same sentence, I automatically think of her song Judas.  The music video is nothing less than controversial, but it is also, what I believe to be, crossing boundaries. The boundary lines of art, music, imagery, and religion are all blurred in the music video. From what Miranda said as “riding a motorcycle gang [of the apostles]” to a known actor “with a golden Crown of Thorns on his head and golden dreads.”

I very much agree with Miranda where she talks about Gaga looking more like the Virgin Mary, instead of Mary Magdalene with the royal blue shawl. As well as with the representation of the heart of Jesus; knowing exactly the meaning because growing up I always saw a picture of Jesus with His heart on the outside of His robes.

After listening to the song, watching the video, and adding the lyrics, I believe that her song is an overdramatic way of putting:
1.     A stereotypical relationship in which a person can’t stop going back to another even if they have done them wrong. Gaga says "forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain, even after three times he betrays me”
2.     But also she might be relating Christian temptation, of the devil, trying to live the life according to Jesus, but being tempted in an evil direction. Gaga says “I wanna love you, but something’s pulling me away from you. Jesus is my virtue, Judas is the demon I cling to”

Do I necessarily believe that Gaga had to use the name Judas as her guy, or create enormous biblical references in her music video? No. There was obviously some kind of reaction that she wanted (in which she got, rather positive or negative), but than again, everything Gaga does is eccentric and in the public eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment