Monday 5 March 2012

This post is a response to Stratis' "Hey! I Just Met You, And This is Crazy. But Here's a Record Deal, So Sign It Maybe?" located at http://stratisthesundayschooldrop-out.blogspot.com/2012/03/hey-i-just-met-you-and-this-is-crazy.html




I’m just going to start off by saying that if we really think about it, it is crazy the amount of power that Justin Bieber has over the music industry. He has over seventeen million followers on twitter, sold out arena tours all over the planet, and not to mention he’s dating one of the most up and coming girls in Hollywood that Disney has popped out since Miley Cyrus.  World domination much?

After reading Stratis’ post about Carly Rae Jepsen, I was happily surprised that Justin was interested in signing her, and I believe that she ultimately did end up signing with Bieber. I love her music, and I think she has a great image that will help her sell her music to her full potential.  Her single, Call Me Maybe isn’t her first single, although it is the one that has had the highest radio play and is currently, today, number three on iTunes Canada. One could possibly say that it was because of the help of Justin Bieber and his friends that created the Jepsen frenzy. Every other station in Toronto plays her track, and its becoming well known over North America.


I do however disagree with Stratis in the respect that he says “signing Jepsen may seem like a selfless act, it is in fact a selfish one.” I never think by signing anyone in the industry is because it is selfless or helping out a friend. The industry is all about making money, making an image, and creating a commodity.  I’m almost 99% sure the reason Usher signed Bieber was because he was getting thousands of hits on his Youtube covers, and the girls were going crazy over him even before he was famous. Usher was looking to make money; just like Bieber is (even though I’m pretty sure he has enough money to last him for the rest of his life and after life!). So good for you Jepsen, I cannot wait to hear what will come out of signing this deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment